I felt a surge of pain instantly and knew I had been stung! In a knee jerk reaction I pulled the stinger from my finger, went in the house and called Nan. I poured some peroxide over the spot on my finger and asked her what she thought I should do. In a metter of minutes my finger began to swell, go tingly, then faded to numbness. I began to freak out and was not interested in a trip to the ER.
I called my pharmacist as there is a little Doc in the Box place next to them. I thought he might be able to help me first (and for free!) so I explained what was happening and he let me know I was having an allergic reaction to a bee sting. AWESOME. He told me to take some Benedryll- so I head up to Rite Aid to get some. I couldn't find it on the shelves, so I asked him where it was. He helped me find it, explained to me how to take it, and also let me know I should make an appointment to see my PCP ASAP to get an epipen. No lie: he told me I would live tonight, but you never know when I'll be somewhere hiking and unable to get to safety... and die.
You can see the swelling going down in this picture documenting the fateful event. At 27, my list of allergies just keeps growing! Gracious! I guess I'll be wearing long sleeves and yard gloves next time I take out my trash!